Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Oprah Winfrey 2020?

Oprah Winfrey, one of television’s most inspirational women in this country was the first African American woman to win the Cecil B. DeMille award. Oprah came from almost nothing, born and raised in Kosciusko, Mississippi and is now the wealthiest African American to ever live.

At only 63 years old, Oprah started with her own talk show in 1986. She is most known for “The Oprah Winfrey show” which aired in 1986 and ended in 2011. Oprah is now worth more than $2.9 billion.

Just because her show ended in 2011 her career didn’t stop there. Oprah ended her show only to continue being Oprah and using her platform to influence people through social media. Oprah also is a sponsor for Weight Watchers and always promotes a healthy lifestyle.

The Golden Globe awards was held on January 7, 2018, Oprah won the Cecil B. DeMille award. Her speech was heart touching for everyone, especially for women.

Oprah gave such an amazing speech that it sparked the #oprah2020 movement. This movement was created because many people think that Oprah Winfrey should run for president.

“So I want all the girls watching here, now, to know that a new day is on the horizon! And when that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight, and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say ‘Me too’ again.” This was the most touching passage from her speech directed to inspire young women in America.

While others think Oprah should run for presidency, there’s people who think she is not worthy of running for president. Edith O. A freshman at SLCC said, “She’s not fit, she honestly knows nothing about presidency.”.

However, many are still intrigued around the question whether or not Oprah would run or maybe even win the 2020 election.

Senior, Breanna Alonzo said, “No way Trump can beat Oprah! He’s hated and no one thinks his plans or actions are logical.”

At some point we are not sure we want people with fame and money to be the most powerful person in the world.

About the Writers
Anthony Mancino, News Editor

2016-2017 Reporter