Filed under News, Showcase

Tide pods: time for the INEDIBLE

If you are reading this while you are hungry, please do not eat a Tide pod.  They are not food, they are laundry detergent packs. There has been a recent challenge surfacing social media called the “Tide Pod Challenge.”  This challenges you to eat a tide pod and, well, not die in the process.

According to Women’s Health Magazine, “The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission released a warning years ago about how the packets are attractive to young children but are filed with ‘highly concentrated, toxic detergent.’  Children who have ingested detergent from the packets have required medical attention and hospitalization for loss of consciousness, excessive vomiting, drowsiness, throat swelling, and difficulty breathing.”

No one knows where or how this challenge began, but 13-19 year olds have also been frying the tide pods to eat them.  Poison control has received over 10,000 cases from the tide pod challenge.  Many have also died from consuming this due to the poison and toxins that are placed inside the tide pod packs.  

In 2017, according to American Association of Poison Control Center, U.S. poison control centers have obtained more than 10,000 children reports of consumption of tide pods, all under the age of 5 years.  They have also received reports that over 200 teenagers had consumed tide pods, and one-fourth of those reported consumptions were intentional.  YouTube has even banned videos of the tide pod challenge because they violate community guidelines.

Tide pods should only be used when doing laundry, and nothing else.  Using them for consumption can cause many diseases, risk your health, and even death.  Tide has even announced on Twitter that they shall be removing tide pods from the shelves on February 1.  This will prevent death and risk towards the adolescent community, and maybe even teach them to not introduce incompetent challenges.