Filed under Features

Ending child slavery

“Kailash,” a film directed by Derek Doneen, produced by Davis Guggenheim and Sarah Anthony, premiered on the first day of the Sundance film festival. It focuses on the horrors of child labor in the world today, and the strives they take to give these children their childhood back.

When he was younger, Kailash Satyarthi made a promise he would end child slavery in his lifetime. In years since, he has rescued more than 85,000 children from slavery, built a global movement and has successfully championed freedom and education for the world’s most vulnerable children.

This intimate and suspenseful film follows one man’s journey to do what many believed was impossible, following his organization Bachpan Bachao Andolan (Save the Children Movement). With more than 45 million people engaged globally for action and change.

From the Nobel Prize website, Kailash described the story of a girl name Devli in his 2014 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech. “Sitting in my car immediately after her rescue, the eight year old year girl asked: ‘Why did you not come earlier?’ Her angry question still shakes me – and has the power to shake the world. What are we waiting for?”

The foundation is working to finally end child slavery once and for all by taking the following approach: Freeing children from child slavery and labor and sending them back to school, where they belong, building different child friendly villages where the children can comfortably live and play educating as many people as possible on the issues to help further prevent it, through a new campaign 100 Million for 100 Million, which engages the children and youth around the world and lastly, assembling world leaders and Nobel laureates to help build the political action.

If you want to support the Nobel Peace Laureate vision you can always: Pledge financial support to the Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation (KSCF), email [email protected] to become a campaign ambassador, and involve your business or contact them to learn more.