Filed under Features

Hillcrest science projects

Alan Zhao

Alan Zhao

Canyons School District had their 9th Annual junior and senior division science fair for 7th through 12th graders. The science fair was held at 9361 S. 300 E. in Sandy. Contestants arrived at 6:00 pm on Monday, February 5.

There are many requirements to be able to enter the contest. The judges are looking for creativity, objective, hypothesis, use of resources, and original work. The participants are also required to have a lab book where the students will record all of the work done on the project. All students who are participating in the science fair are required to fill out ISEF (International Science and Engineering Fair) paperwork. You can find ISEF paperwork at http://usef.utah.edu/student.

Any projects where bacteria was grown outside of a laboratory will be disqualified. Living organism, including plants, soil, sand, rock, and or waste samples even if permanently encased in plastic will also be disqualified. There are many rules because the district is worried for the safety of the students and the staff.

Before the district fair the participants are required to register their projects at http://sciencefairtools.com/site/login by January 26,2018. Projects that are not registered will be disqualified. During the day of the district fair students will check in and set-up their projects on the location they are assigned. There will be a meeting approximately ten minutes after your arrival time. The participants are interviewed three times by judges. After the district fair the CSD science fair will be open to the public on Tuesday, February 6 from 4:00-6:00 pm.

The projects that have advanced to the SLVSEF, an annual science and engineering competition will receive an invitation to an awards presentation on February 6 at 6:30 pm, Location TBD, according to www.canyonsdistrict.org.

Alan Zhao, Alexander Cheng, Gregory Barashyan, Sai Parsawar, Wensen Zhang, and Wentao Zhang are students at Hillcrest that will be advancing to the U of U regional science fair.

“Hillcrest is known for high quality science fair projects,” Tasha Jensen said. “Most of them worked at research labs at the university to investigate some complex and high-tech issues.”

“This is my third year participating in the senior division of science fair,” Alan Zhao said, a junior at Hillcrest high school.

“Science fairs reach many people across Utah, but in Hillcrest not so much. I would encourage others to participate, especially those who are interested in science,” Zhao continued, “If you have any problem you’d like to investigate in depth that lies in STEM, science fair is a great way for you to engage with that problem.”