Filed under Sports

Senior night: The last game

You could feel the energy all around the gym from students, parents, coaches and the players. The first word that comes to mind is intense, you could see in all the players face’s that this was it. This was their last chance to win a game before they graduated. Senior Ammon Julia “Hillcrest basketball was an empowering experience after getting cut three years in a row”

The Hillcrest and Granger boys not only were the teams facing each other but also the crowd. The tension between the two teams was strong. The boys fought, they put 100% into the whole game, and they battled for the win. They wanted it, they needed it. Senior Jordan Dunn said “This year as a senior was special… I really liked how kearns had these padded seats.”

Throughout the whole game it was mostly seniors who played such as McKay Ashby, Mo Saif, Bassel Tekarli, Jordan Dunn, Ammon Julia, Tyson Flores and Seth Dalgleish. Some other star players were sophomore Brox Ashby, and juniors Max Russell and Devin Adams. Mo Saif a senior on the team said “ Senior year wasn’t at all what I expected. I didn’t think I’d be such a vital role on my team, but I’m happy with my best friends when I’m playing so that’s all that mattered.”
Senior night was heartfelt, it was a beautiful moment the senior shared with their parents, team and coaches. Senior Mckay Ashby “ This year was a big year because of all the valuable lessons I learned.”

Loud is the only word that comes to mind when speaking about the crowd. Granger crowd was small but loud and powerful. Our crowd was loud, and cheerful no matter what the score was we were always screaming, and cheering our boys on.
Senior Basketball Captain Bassel Tekarli “ It was definitely a change from last year, the look of the team was completely different and so was our game style. This year was great. It was so fun to be around such a great group of guys with so much personality. I also thought we finished the season very strong even though our record didn’t quite show it. We battle hard and really played Hillcrest hard during our last two games. Although we didn’t beat Fremont in the first round, we at least left everything out on the floor. Overall I was very proud of my team and I’m glad I got to be a part of it. I love my guys.”