Filed under Opinion

Protect your kids, not your guns

Isn’t it strange how Kinder Eggs are banned in America to protect children because they’re a choking hazard? Yet still, some lunatic can still pick up an AR-15 automatic rifle legally and kill 14 children in a place where they should feel safe.

Another school shooting, with seventeen dead, among those were young, bright students. Seventeen people who went to school that morning and didn’t realize that would be their last time saying, ‘I love you’ to their families, on Valentine’s day nonetheless.

One student was Nicholas Dworet, a 17-year-old senior. He was recruited for the University of Indianapolis swim team and would have been an incoming freshman this fall.

Most of the victims were as young as fourteen. Among these fourteen-year-olds was Jaime Guttenberg. A heartbreaking Facebook post by her father, Fred, reads, “My heart is broken. Yesterday, Jennifer Bloom Guttenberg and I lost our baby girl to a violent shooting at her school. We lost our daughter, and my son Jesse Guttenberg, lost his sister.”

“I am broken as I write this trying to figure out how my family gets through this. We appreciate all of the calls and messages and we apologize for not reacting to everyone individually,” he added. “Hugs to all and hold your children tight.”

This is the eighteenth high school shooting in the US this year alone, and we still have ten months to go. We’ve had 290 since 2013 and average about one a week. How many students have to lose their lives before we do something about it?

Australia had four mass shootings between 1987 and 1996, they passed stricter gun laws and haven’t had a single mass shooting since. But still, please explain to me how gun control doesn’t work.

The UK had a single deadly school shooting in 1996 and that’s all it took for handguns to be banned almost straight after. There’s been one mass shooting since. And people still manage to say after such a tragedy that guns don’t kill people, people kill people. We can stop this, we just don’t want to.

The weapon used at Stoneman Douglas High School is an AR-15. It is the same weapon that was used at many other devastating mass shootings, such as Sandy Hook, Vegas, Texas church, Orlando, Parkland, Aurora and San Bernardino. So why is this weapon easily available?

I’m tired of people trying to argue their right to own a military-grade killing machines outweighs by right to survive a day at school. I’m tired of being genuinely terrified to go to school. I want to feel safe again. Someone could easily walk into my school and shoot me, and there’s nothing I can do about it.

We, as students, don’t want high fences and metal detectors. We don’t want our teachers to have guns. We don’t want to go to school in a prison. We want CHANGE. We want genuine, lasting change. I’m furious that this is the new reality.

Emma Gonzalez, a survivor of the shooting at a gun-control rally in Fort Lauderdale on February 17 said, “We are going to be the kids you read about in textbooks… because we are going to be the last mass shooting. We are going to change the law.”

A nasty tweet from Tomi Lahren read, “Can the Left let the families grieve for even 24 hours before they push their anti-gun and anti-gunowner agenda? My goodness. This isn’t about a gun it’s about another lunatic.”

In response to this, a student actually involved in the shooting, @car_nove on twitter said, “I was hiding in a closet for 2 hours. It was about guns. You weren’t there, you don’t know how it felt. Guns give these disgusting people the ability to kill other human beings. This IS about guns and this is about all the people who had their life abruptly ended because of guns.”

Why won’t anyone do something about this? To all the people offering their thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims and the survivors, I’m sorry to say but at this point the power of prayer is insufficient to stop bullets from killing children. It has to be political because this is a political issue.

We are failing our children. We need actual change, and we need it now. One child’s life is worth more than all the guns in the world.