Filed under Showcase, Sports

Is basketball the favorite sport for the state?

In the state of Utah there are 138 high school boys basketball teams. The teams range from 1A all the way to 6A. High school boys basketball is one of the longest sport seasons. It starts in November and ends in March. This year the 6A classification is new to Utah, so there’s going to be fight for who wants to be the first ever 6A state champion.

Starting with 6A, the top five teams are Lone Peak, Pleasant Grove, Kearns, Fremont, and Copper Hills. There’s a total of four regions.

In region 1 the number one team is Fremont High School with a region record of 9-3, while their season record is 17-5. In region 2 the number one team is Kearns High school. Kearns region record is 11-1, while their season record is 20-3.

In region 3 there’s a tie for first place between Riverton High School and Copper Hills High School. Both their region records are 7-1, yet the tie breaker goes to Riverton because they have an overall better record which is 18-5. Region 4 is one the of the toughest regions in the state. First place in region is Lone Peak High school who are undefeated with an 8-0 record and 19-3 for the season.

5A region 5 champions are Box Elder High School. They finished 7-1 in their region, and finished 13-7 the whole season. Region 6 has the projected winner of all the 5A tournament Olympus High School. They were undefeated in region play, going 10-0, also going undefeated in their season going 23-0.

Region 7 had a tie for the first place spot in region play between Timpview High School and Jordan high School. Timpview High school won the tiebreaker by beating Jordan both times in region play. Timpview finished 8-2 in region and 17-6 through the whole season. Region 8 winner was Timpanogos High School. They went undefeated in region, going 10-0, while going 18-6 through the whole season.

With all of 6A matchups, Lone Peak is projected to win the State championship. For 5A, Olympus is projected to win the whole thing, while finishing the whole season going 27-0.

Our Hillcrest Huskies played Tuesday, February 27 at 4 PM, at Weber State University. The Huskies matched up with Fremont Silver Wolves. The Huskies put up a fight for a 4th place team. Hillcrest was leading the whole game till about 2 minutes left in the game when Fremont started to take control. The final score for the game was 62-52.