Filed under Opinion

Service animals are pets!

Everyone has heard the saying, “A dog is a man’s best friend,” this is very true, not to just men, but also women and children. When hearing the word service animal, the first thing people tend to think, for example, is a dog helping a person who is deaf, cross the road.

According to the ADA, “The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability.” Many people say that service dogs are not pets, however, thats simply not true. Yes, they are meant to be working dogs for people who need them, however, those service dogs are owned by people who love them and care for them.

Service animals are more than just service animals, they are pets! They don’t only help us get through daily life, but they also make us laugh and smile. To some people they do more than just make us smile, they can make us feel better as a person. There are many types of services animals such as a guide dog, hearing dog . There’s also service dogs to help people with autism, depression, and the list goes on. When someone or something becomes apart of your daily life, it’s hard to not grow a connection.

People may try to argue that service animals are just working dogs, however, the animal that is in service grows a connection to only you. Some people in the world sometimes will just buy the service animal kit online that way they have an excuse to take their pet everywhere, which not always a good idea. People shouldn’t be doing it for fun because there really are people out there who need those kits for a disability or even an emotional state.

Service animals are pets because owning a pet, whether it’s a dog or a cat, they make you feel better because they are able to do somethings that people can’t. I mean they can’t talk to you a way a person, but that isn’t a bad thing because pets are cuter anyways.