Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Dance Decision-Day

“D-Day,” is a military term that refers to the day that an operation would be initiated, according to Wikipedia. Much like the military referred term, Hillcrest’s “D-Day” is the day that you can begin asking to the high school dances.

Of a sample of 50 Hillcrest students, 96% said that a D-Day is preferred over not having one. A D-Day gives students a sort of real competition and ultimately makes asking to dances just that much more exhilarating.

“D-Day has been a non-favorite to parents. I think they are just scared of their kids being out late,” says Senior Class Vice President, John Ruff. “Overall though, D-Day is a fun idea. You get a set time that you can ask in and it is more fair. Without D-Day, people could get asked to dances months in advance.”

D-Day seems to be only a thing at Hillcrest (on a local standpoint), whereas surrounding schools like Brighton, Jordan, and Corner Canyon just get to ask to any dance at any point during the year.

The polite thing to do when you’re asked to a dance is to say yes to the first person who asks. At other high schools, this is complicated because people are asking all throughout the year and have “dibs” on a date.

Having a set day that you can ask on for school dances is a more fair way to go about the system. It makes everyone have a fair chance at asking someone and makes planning more convenient. Having D-Day at midnight does not mean that you must ask at that time by any means. It is merely a starting point for asking that makes getting asked on a dance more suspenseful.

While it may be dangerous that teens are out so late at night and asking in extravagant ways, it overall is a more fun experience. Racing to be the first person to ask is exhilarating and a fair way to combat getting asked twice. When it really comes down to it, you can go with whoever you want.