Filed under Opinion

Second amendent should be infringed

During the founding of America, the founding fathers created 10 amendments. In reality, the majority of the people are familiar with the first two. The first one being the freedom of free speech, religion, assembly, press, and petition of government.

But how well do people know the second amendment? It’s the right to bear arms as most people recall it. Of course, it’s been cut a little short, the actual amendment says “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of the free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

When put into context, this does not mean that everyone has the right to have a gun, but due to the misinterpretation, that’s certainly what it has become. Some think that “A well regulated Militia” was what the founding fathers believed to be important, while others argue that “The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed,” what was the very cherished text was all about.

The founding fathers wrote in 1791, the guns available to them were military guns like a rifle that took a very long process to load and shoot. I’m sure if the founding fathers could look into the future and look at every citizen having an automatic assault weapon, there could have been some regulations.

According to The Washington post, a study done showed an estimate of 310 million guns were in the hands of US citizens in 2009. This was the first time that guns actually outnumbered the US population and that number will only increase.

Unfortunately, people refuse to give up the guns meant for mass killings. No citizen actually needs a weapon of war to defend themselves, and no they are not hunting guns. So even if the right to bear arms is something that we can’t change, and really shouldn’t, are the people not allowed to decide whether or not someone should go through a thorough examination before being able to handle one?  

A gun is a huge responsibility, you don’t just let a 13 year old grab a car and drive. Important things that have potential to end a life should require licensing. People should be fully informed about the responsibility that comes with a gun and how to use it properly.

No one wants to take away the guns of people who are responsible with them, people just want to see some action being taken by the NRA to keep children and people protected. It’s no coincidence that the country with the most guns is the only country with school shootings.