Filed under Opinion

Racism in Utah schools

Was it lighthearted fun between a couple of girls, or another example of racism in Utah schools? A video emerged on twitter showing a group of girls from Murray High School, using explicit, vulgar language,  and derogatory terms towards African Americans. While this video was originally posted on a private Instagram account, once it had been exposed to twitter, people blew up.

The teenagers defending the video claim it was only a joke and it was just in good fun. But, it led to one of the girls in the video to switch schools, and multiple of them being kicked off their cheer team. The girls originally tagged in the video have since deleted their twitter accounts.

Even so, there still might be more consequences coming for these girls in the future. This puts them in the position to lose jobs, not get accepted into colleges, and will most likely follow them for a while.

This shows that there is no tolerance for offensive and disrespectful language, even if you try to hide it behind a private account.

A response to the video from one of the girls involved says, “It’s still racist even if African Americans say it because they never had to go through what their ancestors went through. If you’re going to be ‘exposing’ people. Expose everyone who is racist.”

Utah Xtreme Cheer released a statement on the video saying they, “strongly condemn the racially charged video that depicts some of our athletes engaging in offensive and disrespectful language. Utah Xtreme Cheer is a family-focused gym where everyone is welcome and should feel safe at all times. Two athletes involved in this video have been expelled from our program entirely and the others have been suspended upon further review. The comments and views expressed within the video do not in any way represent the values of Utah Xtreme Cheer or its staff.”

Doesn’t seem like a joke now, does it? None of this is about anyone being too sensitive or joking. This is serious.

In an article published to the Standard Examiner by Adrienne Andrews says, “It is about wanting to be seen, heard and recognized as a full person. It is about wanting to be respected. It is about being seen as more than a joke.”

About the Writer