Filed under Opinion, Showcase

A march in the right direction

It has been over a month since the recent Florida shooting, and people are beginning to protest. Parents and adults are concerned, but this time we are seeing more students protest. Over the past couple of weeks students have been taking initiative as well. 

School walkouts/ walk ups have started happening. A school walk out is where at a certain period of time students will choose to leave class and go to a designated spot and stand in silence for an amount of time. Walk Ups are where students are encouraged to go up to a student and just talk to them or smile.

Last week , students and adults have worked together to organize a march for our lives. It took place on March 24th at 11 A.M. People gathered together at West High School. From there they walked to the capitol and it ended at 1 p.m.

The march is, “A student-led protest against the looming threat of gun violence in schools, and throughout America,” according to MarchForOurLivesslc.com. This march is to show what people’s feelings are towards these school shootings, and how things need to change.

Students are part of this experience just as much as adults are. They are directly affected by everything that goes on with  school shootings. They have the right to stand up for what they believe in. And this is how they start. “Am I Next?” was a poster from the march and it really resonated with students. It showed people that any school has the opportunity of this happening to them.

This march was open to the public for anyone who wanted to stand up for what they believe in. We clearly are seeing a repeating pattern with gun control and the issues that are following it. So far there has been no change.  There have been no laws changed, and no increase in the restrictions for getting guns. This march will help show people what we want, and how we need change. It is definitely a step in the right direction.