Filed under News

Has United gone too far?

Has United Airlines done enough? On April 9, 2017, United Airlines was charged with forceful removal of a passenger when David Dao refused to get off the plane. Police then forced Dao off the plane. During the removal, Dao received multiple injuries from smacking his face against an armrest and being dragged across the floor.

On Monday, March 12, United Airlines had another passenger mishap. This time it was a 10-month old French Bulldog named Kokito. During a flight from Houston to New York, one flight attendant told Kokito’s owner to put her bag in the overhead, knowing Kokito was in the bag.

Sadly, after this three-hour flight, Kokito passed away. Kokito is not the only animal to pass on United. According to the US Department of Transportation, of the 24 animals that died in carriers last year, 18 were on United, and 13 of the 15 injuries also occured on United.

Sophia, the 11-year old owner of Kokito, is devastated of her loss. “She was just crying and, I’m sure, in disbelief and overwhelmed with guilt and confused….everything felt drained,” said witness Maggie Gremminger.

Though the airline is offering to pay the family for the death of their puppy, the family says they rather have no family ever experience this tragedy again.

In response to the event, United Airlines said, “We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them… we are thoroughly investigating what occurred to prevent this from ever happening again.”

According to the LA Times, since this event, United has not been taking an pet reservations for any flights and will not be taking anymore reservations until May 1. When United opens reservations back up, they will take into careful considerations of the breed of dogs, only accepting dogs with a lower likelihood of death. Though they are not taking any new reservations, they will still honor previous reservations.