Back to the grind

Cameron McCleary, Photo Editor

Player development and teamwork are two of the most important factors that play into success, especially early in the season. One way high school teams do this is by going on a preseason tournament out of state. This not only gives teams a look at competitive challengers, but strengthens the team as they spend all day with each other over a couple of days.

The baseball boys went to their annual baseball trip to Anaheim, California on Friday, March 23 to Tuesday, March 27.

“Going 0-2 into the tournament didn’t hurt us in any way,” said junior second baseman and pitcher Luke Reuschel. “We know our own greatness and capability. Also because it was preseason, we were still experimenting playing kids in different positions.”

The Huskies played one game on Saturday, March 24 and two games on Monday, March 26.

The game on March 24 was reportedly very close. The two teams battle back and forth and Hillcrest was up 4-3 until the final inning when (opposing team) scored 4 runs. The final score was a 7-4 loss for Hillcrest.

The first game on March 26 was against Sonora High School from La Habra, California. Sonora beat Hillcrest by a score of 21-0. The later game ended 16-1, another loss for the Huskies. They played Great Oak High School, a team from Temecula, California.

“We got to real games while the games in Utah were battling weather,” continued Reuschel. “Also, we got team bonding that helped. You get memories that will never forget.”

On March 27, Hillcrest lost their game 12-4 to Santa Fe High School. Hillcrest’s record moves to 0-5 after the tournament and moved into region games beginning on March 29.

“I anticipated the trip to be a tough one this year,” said Reuschel. “We are a decently young team with only 4 seniors and 3 that play. And all the teams were in Cali and teams from Cali tend to be typically pretty good.”

We wish the Huskies the best of luck as they move into region play, and hope the Anaheim trip benefited the team.