Filed under News

March for our lives

On February 14, there was a mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. With 17 students murders, and 17 injured. This shooting in Parkland was the last straw for not only the students at this high school, but students everywhere.

After that day, Emma Gonzales, a senior from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and other students from Parkland made it her goal to demand safety in the classroom by starting the March for Our Lives movement.

“Be part of this moment in time. I believe the young people in this country can change the world.And wouldn’t that be something?” Emma Gonzalez stated on the March For Our Lives website.

Before the march students and teachers all around the nation participated in walkouts. Each walkout was 17 minutes of silence for the students lost in the shooting.

Regan Plant is a student here at Hillcrest and believes strongly in March For Our Lives, she was one of the many students that participated in the walkout “I was a little nervous to do the walk out because i wasn’t sure how many people would show up, but once i saw how many people cared I started to get a strong feeling.”

On March 24th, over 4,000 people showed up at West high school with their posters chanting. “Show me what democracy looks like, this is what democracy looks like!” Everyone yelled as they started to reach the capitol building.

A few students in Utah spoke at the march about their issues and to share about why this movement is so important to them.

Plant Explained,“When we reached the top of the Capitol Hill, I looked down and saw so many people supporting March For Our Lives, it was both exciting and inspiring.”

This movement is slowly changing the world, and students not only in Utah but in the nation are not even close to being done yet.