Filed under Opinion

Fire drill safety

On Monday, March 26 Hillcrest students had to be evacuated from the school because of a fire.

Four freshmen students lit up a garbage can in the north east downstairs bathroom. The evacuation path for the north upstairs classrooms had to walk past the bathroom as the smoke was filling up the hallways.

Speaking about the bathrooms in high school, the stalls in the boys bathroom are written on. On every single stall in the school you can find a swear word, a gang name, and many inappropriate things.

“ I feel like that the school should find a way to spread out the stair evacuation because every time that a fire drill happens the stairs get choked up with all the top floor students evacuating,” said Mr. Richardson.

The school has five stairwells that go from the 200 halls and two from the art halls. There’s approximately 2,500 hundred students that go to Hillcrest so about 1,000 students have to evacuate within those five stairwells.

“ I feel like the teachers should have the authority to redirect their class to a different stairwell if the fire is in the students way or they feel like it’s dangerous for the students,” said Richardson.

After the classes have been evacuated they are assigned a number that is located on the outside of the school walls and fences. Some of numbers are the same as the others, so that means some teachers get confused when they go to their number and there’s another class there. So the new school that will be built better implement a better evacuation system.

This year the safety of kids that need to be evacuated has to be fixed. From fire drills to lock downs the school system needs to find a better way to keep them safe.