Apply for academic excellence

Some shine for sports or clubs while others stand out for their academic excellence.

Academic letter applications were available April 9 and need to be in by May 4 according to the official 2018 application to be considered this year. However, the deadline is stated as May 11 on the online calendar for Hillcrest.

Qualifications for the award are as follows: having a 3.50 GPA or higher for three quarters back-to-back, passing grades in all your classes (no Fs, Incompletes, or NGs), regular attendance, following the Hillcrest Code of Conduct, and having at least four academic courses in one’s schedule for the three quarters.

Academic courses are english, foreign language, math, science, social studies, and CTEC/JATC courses (which can only count as two credits).

This award is for the students who are doing better than average in their classes and keeping up with their assignments and attendance. Receiving this award is something that can be put on a college resume to help a student stand out, as pointed out by English teacher Mrs. Edmonds.

Those who manage to get the Academic Letter Award receive pins, certificates, and be recognized with a breakfast later in May from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.

Unlike other schools, students have to take the initiative to apply in order to have the opportunity to be recognized like this academically. Due to the benefits and how there is no penalty to not make it if one applies but doesn’t make it, students should apply today before the deadline rushes past them.