Hillcrest presents: La Gaudiere

La Gaudiere: n. the glint of goodness inside people, which you can only find by sloshing them back and forth in your mind until everything dark and gray and common falls away, leaving behind a constellation at the bottom of the pan—a rare element trapped in exposed bedrock, washed there by a storm somewhere upstream.

La Gaudiere is also known as the wonderful dance concert that Hillcrest had presented from April 19-April 21.  This concert was filled with many different performances choreographed by many different choreographers, as well as members of Hillcrest’s very own Dance Company. A significant piece that was performed was the “Dangerous VMA Medley” by Michael Jackson which was performed by J.T. Butler.

“When one of the choreographers came, he had us improvise, then he had a certain group of people improvise once more, and once again, which led me to perform as MJ,” said J.T. “I listened to tons of his (Michael Jackson) music over the last few months. Whenever I was bored, I would watch videos of him dancing and mimic what he did.”

Both the dancers and the audiences were very proud of the performance(s). The concept behind the concert was exquisitely portrayed through the dances. The variety of the dances emphasized how amazing the concert was altogether.

“There are some pieces in the concert that were very strong.  There are some pieces in the concert that I felt were very strong; every single night, there were some pieces in the concert that I felt could have been better,” said senior and president of Dance Co., Kara Komarnitsky.  “I feel like everything went really well and I love the fact that by the time we were performing, we really loved every piece and had lots of fun. Even if things went wrong, we always figured it out.”

One of Kara’s favorite pieces was “Under the Skin,” which was performed by Kara, and two other (senior) officers of Dance Co., McKenlie Howell, Vice President, and Madison Parker, Secretary. Kara had claimed that it was the most challenging.  Two choreographers were brought in to guide these dancers in this performance.

“We went from struggling with the choreography to digging into something really powerful in the performance,” continued Kara. “It was extremely difficult but in a really good way because it pushed the limits of what I thought I could do and I was working with my two officers who are both amazing dancers.”

La Gaudiere was a fantastic piece performed by fantastic students.  Many of these dancers surprised the audience in their own significant ways.  My personal favorite was a piece done by Sophie Lovell known as “When You Love Enough to Let Go.” This piece was done in honor of her younger sister who had passed away to MPS.  This piece was very emotionally appealing to the audience, some were even crying. La Gaudiere was one show that no one would have wanted to miss. Congratulations to Dance Co. members, they really outdid themselves with this concert.

About the Writer
Tamara Jaljouli, Features Editor

2016-2017 Social Media Editor
 2015-2016 Reporter