Filed under Features, Showcase

Teachers vs. students: School or be schooled

On Thursday April 26, Hillcrest High School students had a second look at the athletic staff as they went head to head in their basketball competition for the first time since December 5, 2017. The teachers won this game 42-38.

This game is highly anticipated because the students are looking to getting revenge on the teachers. The teacher’s will bring back Ms. Hurst, Ms. Williams, and Mr. Orellana, while they introduce Coach A and Coach Lewis. The teacher’s will also see familiar faces in their coaching staff, with head coach Cameron Dunn. Because of a shortage of teacher availability, the teachers were also given Seniors Alex Cardona and Ray Watanabe as subs.

The students had returning players, such as Peter Jacob, Olivia Palepoi, and Amelia Slama-Catron. They added some new talent to their roster, including Jaysen Jensen, Ramon de la Torre, and James Shriber, a freshman who was never played basketball.

“Being put in the game made me nervous but I was excited,” said Shriber. “The game wasn’t important at all but I’m glad I had a chance to have fun.”

The All-Star night also included other class competitions before and during the basketball game. Some activities include a dunk contest, a penalty shootout, arm wrestling, and various other physical activities.

“I loved competing,” said Sully Nielson, a Junior in the penalty shootout. “It’s always fun to be included.”

From the tip-off, it was clear that Orellana would be a problem for the students. He got off to a quick start and was hard to stop, resulting in 12 points at halftime. The teachers led 21-17.

After halftime, the teachers pulled away after a battle of the third quarter, and led by only 3 at the break, thanks to Junior Tanner Cluff scoring a nice 5 points in back-to-back possessions. With the weight on their shoulders, the students had to do something quick to pull away, get the lead, and seal the deal.

The fourth quarter game went back and forth, where the teachers would score and the students would counter. With 1 minute and 12 second on the clock, the students were down 4 points; 39-35. Jaysen Jensen had 3 steals in the remaining time and the students had 8 opportunities to capitalize and get the lead. But alas, the teachers became victorious after a 3 by the students who forgot to play defense for the remaining 2 seconds. The teachers end up winning by a score of 39-38.

What’s next for the students? Will they rise to the occasion if given the chance next year? Time can only tell.