Filed under Features

Reduce stress now and pass those tests

The school year is coming to a close with graduation just around the corner, and testing season is in full swing. At Hillcrest high school there are many different types of tests happening including, SAGE, IB, AP, finals and so on. In the mix of this, life can get stressful and students reach out for reliefs.

A student at University of Utah had an idea on how to battle the stress and made his own project called “Cry Closet.” Nemo Miller constructed the 400 pound closet and placed it in the middle of a commons area. Inside the closet the walls are covered with soft materials, there are blankets and stuffed animals.

“Just let it all out,” university spokeswoman Jana Cunningham told KSL news. “Let yourself just get away from your studies for the next 10 minutes.” The closet, however, was taken down shortly after finals week ended.

There are other methods of coping with stress other than to go cry in a dark closet, some clubs at Hillcrest even offer this relief. For an end of year project AP/IB art students are given a couple days to draw with chalk in the courtyard.

“Usually, we have the IB and AP students go out there as a way of relieving the stress of the year but occasionally we have normal drawing kids,” said Mrs. Bennett, IB art teacher

In past years there has been themes for the drawings, last years was movies you like and the year before that it was famous painters. This years theme has not yet been decided.

Twice a year the IB program hosts a glow yoga in the dance studio. This is usually held during spirit week at the beginning of the year and during testing at the end of the year. It consists of a yoga session and glow sticks provided to add a unique element to the class.

You don’t have to wait for an event or a closet in order to be stress-free though, here are some quicks tips on how to calm your nerves and really focus for exams:

1. Take a 10 minute walk

It sounds like the simplest idea but taking walks has been medically proven to clear your mind because it causes you to pay attention to everything around you, but also reflection attention and help you think about yourself for a second. Walking also boosts endorphins.

1. Listen to music

“While classical music has a particularly soothing effect — it slows heart rate, lowers blood pressure and even decreases levels of stress hormones — any music that you love will flood your brain with feel-good neurochemicals like dopamine,” Meredith Melnick states in her Huffington Post Article.

1. Eat some candy

Eating or drinking something sweet is soothing because it stems the production of the stress hormone, glucocorticoid. A small candy like Hershey’s kiss, peppermint patty or gum can help.

Either way, the end of the year is coming. Good luck on all your tests and you will make it to see summer.