Filed under Opinion

Kim supports appetite suppressant

Kim Kardashian’s latest post where she was seen sucking on a lollipop was a lot less innocent than it seemed. The reality star used her large influence to promote an appetite suppressant lollipop to her ___ followers. It was immediately met with hundreds of comments about how inappropriate it was to support unhealthy eating habits among young women.

Activist Liam Hackett, said, “Eating disorders are a very real issue for a lot of young people and to see Kim Kardashian actively encouraging her fans to develop an unhealthy relationship with food is terrifying and gravely concerning.”

This post could be seen as validation for girls skipping meals, or participating in unhealthy eating habits, such as starving themselves. Most would think that if a Kardashian is doing it, then it must work. It’s terrible to see how much of a toxic influence Kim is on impressionable young people in America.

The lollipop in question comes from Flat Tummy Co., which is commonly known among celebrities. Many of whom often promote the brand’s teas.

Kardashian deleted the Instagram post after a few hours, likely because of the backlash. She initially wrote “#ad You guys… @flattummyco just dropped a new product. They’re Appetite Suppressant Lollipops and they’re literally unreal.” Her post included a promotion code for 15 percent off of one’s purchase. Kardashian has yet to respond to the backlash.

Kardashian’s decision was immediately questioned considering she is a mother of three children, including two young daughters, North, 4, and Chicago, 4 months. While I admire their mother’s branding capabilities, an exploitative but innovative genius, however, this family makes me feel actual despair over what women are reduced to.

This woman has far too much influence over young girls and seems incapable of using it in a positive way. You are setting the worst example to girls all over the world. No one should have to feel the need to suppress their appetite to fit ridiculous beauty standards. Don’t take appetite suppressants, eat enough to fuel your brain to work hard and be successful. And to play with your kids. And to have fun with your friends.

About the Writer