Filed under News

Goodbye Hillcrest in motion

According to Canyons School, “The Huskies are getting a new home, and we’re celebrating with a ceremonial turning of dirt.”

At the beginning of the school year it was announced the school was going to be up for a bond to be rebuilt. The community voted and it was announced Hillcrest was approved for reconstruction. In April, architects revealed what the new school would be like. Now, construction begins.

The school so many alumni know and love, the halls this years graduates have known for the last four years, will be torn down and rebuilt by 2022.

When the project was first announced, the major priority for the school was updating the lighting getting updated in the school. Extensive research shows that the more natural light students have, the better they are to learn and be attentive in class.

In an earlier article, Litzi Carmona highlights that and expresses the need for the bond to get approved. To see more details on that read here.

This is exactly what the architect had in mind when they were building what Hillcrest would be like, help the school have more natural light. For other schools that have been newly built, like Mount Jordan Middle School, their hallways are completely lit with natural light and staff says it has made all the difference.

When building the school designs the architects made sure to keep in touch with teachers and had regular meetings regarding what they planned and what teachers felt was necessary. Despite this fact, teachers felt unheard on their concerns on the amount of windows and the size of the windows for the classrooms.

It is felt that the windows expose the classroom and make it unsafe for potential shootings. With the outbreak of school shootings it’s been a major

With all being said, construction is moving forward.  There will be a groundbreaking ceremony May 31st to begin the start of the new buildings constructions, students, staff and parents are concerned but happy the school is getting rebuilt.