Filed under News

Madness for Madden NFL 19

The gun debate which seems to have cooled down since the tragic event of Stoneman Douglas High School is coming full circle as a shooting in Jacksonville, Florida occurred on August 26.

At a Madden NFL 19 tournament that day, which was a qualifier for a competition known as Madden Classic, participants Taylor Robertson and Elijah Clayton were competing before a shooter opened fire at the event, Sheriff Mike Williams stated.

The suspect, David Katz, killed Robertson and Clayton before killing himself. In addition, Katz injured 11 others. Katz was from Baltimore, Maryland and had a history of psychiatric issues, with evidence that his parents tried to get him treatment, but all efforts were in vain. In addition to his psychiatric issues, Steve Buchness, a bartender in Katz’s neighborhood, has suggested that Katz had feelings of loneliness.

In a USA Today article, Buchness said, “I bet you he’s a loner, but I don’t know. You’ve got to come in a lot for us to recognize you as a regular.”

He had managed to get a firearms permit legally and, according to one tournament competitor, Katz had lost the match prior to the start of the shooting.

In response to the shooting, victims have filed a lawsuit for where the competition was, citing that the security present was not enough for the event. They state that when the event took place in the Jacksonville Landing Mall at a pizza parlor called Chicago Pizza, exits were blocked off during the event and the fire code was violated, which might have impacted the shooting, according to Fortune.

Lawyer Matt Morgan stated during a press conference, “This event could and should have been prevented had there been the proper safety measures in place.”

Due to the mass shooting that happened, Electronic Arts, the game-maker behind Madden NFL 19, has decided to cancel the remaining qualifiers to get to Madden Classic for the time being and donate $1 million to the victims, as stated on an associated news article by Business Insider.

We have made a decision to cancel our three remaining Madden Classic qualifier events while we run a comprehensive review of safety protocols for competitors and spectators,” Andrew Wilson, the CEO of EA, explained.

This shooting may have been the first one EA has had to deal with and perhaps one of the first video game competition shootings, but tensions of the country’s gun debate are heating up once more.