Filed under News

Hurricane Florence rain pains

Hurricane Florence began to gain attention at the beginning of September as it was rapidly growing. However, as time went on, it’s size fluctuated unexpectedly. What began as a tropical storm worked its way up to a category four hurricane, reaching max wind speeds of 140 mph.

As reported by National Ocean Service, hurricanes start as a tropical storm near the equator where there is access to warm water and slowly build up speed and force the longer it has to grow. Once the hurricane runs out of water to fuel the hurricane, it will begin to die out. This is when it hits land and the winds do most of the damage, but floods begin to takeover.

Florence first made contact on Thursday, September 13. Although it was only a category two when it came to land, it had winds of up to 90 miles per hour. Rain on the coast caused 30 inches or more of flood in some cities along the east coast.

“Cities and Counties are facing challenges and will continue to face challenges over the next several weeks,” said North Carolina Governor, Roy Cooper, at a press conference held on September 10 and posted by WCNC. “Do not go out in this storm.”

The hurricane passed on Tuesday September 18 and made its way back into the ocean with winds of about 25 miles per hour. Although it was gone, the flooding remained a major problem, especially in North Carolina. An estimated 343,000 people are without power as an effect of the storm. At least 47 were left dead due to hurricane related issues; there were thirty-six in North Carolina, nine in South Carolina, and two in Virginia; these numbers are according to The News and Observer. This hurricane was officially more catastrophic in terms of death and flooding than it’s most recent hurricane in October 2016, Hurricane Matthew.

If you are in a natural disaster, please listen to your local authorities and evacuate if necessary. It’s important to always be prepared to get away from danger as to keep the casualties to a minimum. Human lives are of the utmost importance.