Filed under Features, Showcase

Does APP limit students?

This year at Hillcrest, administration introduced a new period in the school day to replace student support time. Academic prep period, better known as APP, is everyday after first or fifth period with your first period teacher. It has been debated whether it is helpful or a waste of time.

The process to be able to receive help during APP is too long. In order to leave your assigned class, you have to find the other teachers on your own time and have them stamp your planner. Administration is being very strict about these policies in order to make sure everyone makes to most out of their study time.

Student support time was an easier way to get help on your own time. The kids that want to improve their grades found time to go in before school and get help. Students aren’t forced to do work in APP, and most of the time, everyone sits on their phones. Only the students that used SST last year are the ones who use APP this year.

Student support time (SST) was on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday before school last year. This time was a great resource for students who wanted or needed extra help.

Last year in student support time teachers would only have a few students in their classrooms at a time. With APP, they have a full class plus the students that get their planner stamped to come in. It’s harder to get individual time with the teacher, which many students need.

Junior Emily Smilanich said, “With APP, class times are shortened, which is a disadvantage for the teachers and the students. Teachers don’t have as much time to teach their lessons, and students have more homework because they don’t have as much time in class. It is more productive to have longer classes where more can be accomplished than to have an added class which isn’t as useful.

Senior Brynley Kershaw said, “They say that APP period is for us to talk to teachers and get some extra homework done, when in reality is seems as though it’s used so teachers stop complaining about assemblies taking time out of class”.

APP is what you make of it, however, it doesn’t give students the opportunity to be as productive as they could be. It is a harder process than student support time and limits students as to what they can do.