Filed under Opinion

High school accountability

https://newrepublic.com/article/151440/brett-kavanaugh-disqualified-supreme-court

Brett Kavanaugh, 1987 Yale college graduate and 1990 Law school graduate, was recently on trial for the election to the Supreme Court Justice position. One of the women who gave a testimony that would determine his qualification for the position was Christine Blasey Ford, a former classmate of Kavanaugh. Ford had recently accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault towards her from 1980, when the two were only 15 years old.

Beginning with his Supreme Court nomination, Yale college had said how proud they were and how good of a student he was. Since being accused of sexual assault, however, Yale has retracted what they once said in favor of him, according to The New York Times. Ford is hoping to get her assaulter punished for the acts she has accused him of.

Kavanaugh, in trial, has avoided questions left and right regarding whether or not he is guilty of sexual assault. There comes a point where you need to admit your mistakes, pay the price, and move on. Kavanaugh is in a position where he could address his mistakes, apologize, and move on.

After all, it has been nearly four decades since his mistake. He has grown and matured and could have used his platform to apologize to Ford and advocate himself as a changed man. However, he was avoiding the questions and in the end looked under qualified of this position to which there are high expectations.

Sexual assault is a crime in the United States and is punishable. The only complication with this particular case is that 38 years have passed since his crime. Kavanaugh has since attended college and graduated from arguably the highest ranked school in the nation.

The fact that this crime wasn’t brought up until recently isn’t a new occurrence. Lately, women have been coming out about being assaulted in the past. For instance, Hollywood star Bill Cosby was accused by over sixty women from the last 50 years. He was given a time sentence to serve in jail.

Kavanaugh has wronged Ford. However, he was only fifteen years old and almost 40 years have passed. I believe the situation was hard to judge, but I do believe he was guilty and shouldn’t have been elected.  

Kavanaugh was voted into the Supreme Court position. His abrupt opposition to all accusations made against him showed that he really hasn’t grown. He may have gotten older and gotten more experience, but he is still the 15 year old boy in high school. He is afraid of the consequences, and in reality, is this the Supreme Court judge we want?

The moral of the story is that if you’re going to do something against the law and it’s going to bite you in the butt in the future, it’s not worth doing. Everything Kavanaugh tried to cover up in his past and ignore nearly ruined everything he has worked for in the last 38 years.

Women, continue to speak up about assault. This country needs more women in a position of power and we need you now more than ever.