Ready, set, ink!

For artists all across the world, October is a special month. That’s because it is a 31-day prompt challenge with versatility and creativity.

Inktober is this challenge and while some stick to the official prompt list laid out by Jake Parker, the founder/creator of Inktober, others deviate from it and make their own prompts to do.

This year, the official prompts contain a variety of ideas, such as cruel, tranquil, exhausted, and double. The wide selection present allows for different styles and atmospheres and are meant to get one out of one’s comfort zone.

Some students at Hillcrest are even doing this as part of a drawing project in the class of Mr. Brzozowski, a drawing teacher at Hillcrest.

“This is my 2nd year doing Inktober with my Drawing and Art Foundations classes,” Brzozowski explained, before he stated he was unsure whether other art teachers at Hillcrest were having their students take part in Inktober as well.

Why would a teacher spend ten class periods having students work on a 31-day challenge during class? For one, it can enforce great art habits.

“The benefits [of Inktober] are that there is an objective and goal in being consistent in drawing every day,” Brzozowski suggested.

Additionally, Inktober allows students to be able to express themselves through a new medium: ink.

Although the challenge can be hard at times and may seem like too much effort in a typical high schooler’s life, there’s one thing to never forget: one should enjoy his/her time working on Inktober.

“My advice for students doing Inktober is to have fun. It’s not about if you can draw good; it’s about ideas and being original. […] The effect involved in doing something original comes from knowing who you are and not trying to please others,” Brzozowski suggested.