Filed under News, Showcase

Hectic Homecoming

Hectic Homecoming

Homecoming week started off with a bang on Monday, October 1, 2018, when the Hillcrest girls soccer team beat Hunter 1-0 on their senior night. On Tuesday night, the Hillcrest girl’s volleyball team played Granger. Wednesday held the Powderpuff football game, and on Thursday there was the Burning of the H. There was a tailgate before the homecoming football game on Friday, where the team played Kearns. The Homecoming dance on Saturday concluded the eventful week.

On Wednesday night at 5pm, many of Hillcrest’s girls participated in the Powderpuff game, and the boy student government members dressed in cheerleader uniforms to root for the competing girls. James Reich and Brody Roemmich, two senior football players, had the role of coaching the two teams. Reich’s team beat Roemmich 8 to 26. Lizzie Moss, a participant on Roemmich’s team, stated, “We were just too confident going into it.”

After the Powderpuff game, there was a video game night held in the small gym, in which there were a few Wii consoles projecting Mario Kart, Just Dance, and Super Smash Bros Brawl along the walls and inflatable projectors. This event was originally going to be a movie on the football field, but the chance of rain proved to be an altering factor. The Senior Class President at Hillcrest, Josh Olson, was asked about how he dealt with the weather circumstances during the week. He stated, “We always try to have a plan b. We just plan accommodations.”

Thursday evening held the Burning of the H, a historic Hillcrest tradition where students, faculty, and parents all come to participate to watch various dances, routines, the homecoming royalty candidates, and more. At the end of the event there is a firework show and the actual Burning of the H.

During school on Friday morning, there was the Homecoming assembly, where the top 10 royalty candidate’s videos were shown, as well as a dance that they performed, and other performances from different student clubs and organizations.

At 5 p.m. on Friday, there was a tailgate located in the front of the school, where some of the Hillcrest’s clubs set up different booths for the students and the fans. Later that night, the Homecoming football game was played against Kearns and the Homecoming royalty was announced at halftime. There was a very rare occasion of a two way tie when it was announced that both Kosha Hansen and Samantha Gallman were both voted as the Homecoming queens, and Sam Nielson was voted as the king. Unfortunately, Hillcrest lost the football game 49-0.

To end off the eventful week, the Homecoming dance was held in the large gym of Hillcrest High School on Saturday evening at 7 p.m. with the theme of, “You Are the Reason.” The week ay have been hectic, but it was full of excitement and lived up to the expectations of the best week of the year.