Filed under Sports

Local mountain biking pioneer

Kaden Stowe

A gust of wind flying through the hair, a rush of adrenaline flowing through the veins, and a gut wrenching but exhilarating flip of the stomach are all things that Josh Olson experiences on a very regular basis.

Olson started a composite mountain biking team between students at Hillcrest High School and Cottonwood High School just in time for this school year to start.

He started mountain biking with his cousin when he was eleven years old, but couldn’t afford to have his own bike. “I saved money for years,” Josh stated. “My parents even bribed me to not eat sugar for a year. I used what I earned to buy my own mountain bike.”

His progression continued, and Olson started entering competitions by the time he was a freshman in high school. The first team he joined was the Alta High School mountain biking team, so he has affiliations with many experienced bikers. Because of this, he has learned how to start a team of his own, and how to best help his teammates improve.

Some of Cottonwood High’s mountain bike team members, led by Olson, first petitioned to add Hillcrest students to make their team a composite team. By the first week of this school year, the team was started.

Olson has been biking for years, both competitively and recreationally.  He sometimes travels long distances to race other competitors. One of the most recent was a solo race in Cedar City. He also enjoys to go to the Snowbird Ski Resort during the summer to ride the tram to the top of the mountain with his bike, and ride down the resort through the diverse trails.

Olson uses his determination to stay very busy with other activities besides mountain biking. He is a senior at Hillcrest, and part of the IB program. He is also the senior class president, and has a job at Village Baker in Salt Lake City. When asked about his determination, he stated,”I’m a people person, so that helped me to get this team started. I’m a go getter.”

Many at his school and on his mountain biking team admire Olson for his motivated but humble personality. He is always willing to assist other people with their struggles, and never fails to puts other people’s needs above his own. Some would say that Josh Olson set the bar high for leadership at Hillcrest High School as well as in the surrounding community.

About the Writer