Filed under Sports

Ashton Smart: Varsity kicker

Ashton Smart: Varsity kicker

Ashton Smart is the varsity kicker on the Hillcrest High football team. He has been playing for two years. Along with playing football, Ashton plays soccer as well. He enjoys this as he said,

“Kicking for the Hillcrest football team is fun. There are times that it can get really hard. It can be difficult because I don’t do a whole lot at practices,” Smart says.

“There isn’t much practice drills I can do to improve in a short time, it takes a while before you start to see a change,” Smart added.

This season has been rough with a total of zero wins. Smart has been the only player to score points at some games.  “When I’m the only one to score in the game, it kinda makes me happy, but at the same time I’d rather have our team collectively be successful by scoring points all around,” Smart said.

Football pushes him to do better. “I enjoy football because I have many friends on the team. I like the relationships I make with the football team players and coaches,” said Smart.

“There is no other experience like being on a football team. Despite the outcome and success of the season, every season is a success to me, I learn so much and still have so much fun.”

“The reason I joined football was because of Coach Brown. I kept telling him I wanted to join the football team as a kicker, he laughed and said he would be very happy if I joined,” Smart added on.

Smart was very close to Coach Brown. He always pushed Smart to do better, and he believed in him no matter the circumstances.

“When Coach Brown passed, I was very upset and so was the rest of the team and coaching staff.” said Smart.

“When he was here he taught me so much and affected me in good ways, he taught me what matters in life and how to be in relationships with some you may not like.” Smart added.

“He made a huge impact in my life, he will forever be in my thoughts, he will always be remembered for being so positive and discipline. He was such a kind man.”

Smart also plays soccer. He has been playing for many years which influenced his decision to become the position of kicker of the team.

Smart is planning on playing next season, because he loves football, the crowd, and the relationships he’s made. He’s not planning on letting anyone down.

About the Contributor