Met Gala 2019: Sneak peak

Here is a quick preview into the biggest event of arts and entertainment history: The Met Gala. This year, the Gala will be co-hosted by pop musician Lady Gaga, star athlete Serena Williams, Fashion designer Alessandro Michele, and singer-songwriter/actor Harry Styles.

“I think having these celebrities as co-hosts will show great representation for different ethnicities and genders.” Says Grace Lang, a Student at HHS.

The Met Gala was first created in 1948, when it was used to raise donations from New York’s high society. The most popular names from fashion, film, music, and art get together to raise money for the Met. The Metropolitan Museum of Art hosts this extravagant Gala each year to raise money for the Museum and its pieces.

In 2018, the theme was, “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination.” Many stars attended the event, for example: Shawn Mendes, Rihanna, Madonna, and many more celebrities. Each outfit that the stars wear correlate to the theme, and get more and more extravagant as the years go on.

“If I could change one thing about the Met Gala, it would be that the celebrities attending would actually follow the theme.” Says student Taravat Alipoor.

The theme of the 2019 gala is, “Camp: Notes on Fashion” (Vogue). This theme is inspired by Susan Sontag’s essay, Notes on Camp, where she discusses that camp is the, “love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration.” Past themes of the Met Gala have been, Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination, China: Through the Looking Glass, and many more. Each theme brings a new aspect to the fashion industry, and inspires new looks and trends to the media.

About the Writer