“Hello, Clarice”

How can you not love a good, classic horror film? Anytime is a good time to watch scary movies, so here are a few reviews of  some classics.

The Shining (1980):

The film starts with a man getting a new job taking care of a hotel in Colorado during the off season. Although warned that the place has a dark history, the offer is accepted. He and his family move up, and things slowly start to spiral out of control. His son, Danny, has visions, and they get worse as is continues.

As the movie goes on, it shifts from a calm, dull, mood to pure mania. Jack Nicholson does an excellent job portraying insanity. This movie gives off an eerie feeling all the way through, and leaves you on the edge of your seat.

This classic has also given us many iconic quotes, such as, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy” and of course, “REDRUM.” I definitely recommend watching this movie at least once in your life.

Psycho (1960):

A woman stumbles upon a sketchy, Bates Motel, after fleeing on the run with lots of money. She meets the man who runs the motel, the iconic, Norman Bates, who also happens to live with his mother. ¨A boy’s best friend is his mother.¨

I don’t want to spoil the movie, so I’ll leave it at that. The movie might be in black and white, but it’s full of personality. It’s very suspenseful, and full of plot-twists. This was probably my favorite to watch out of all three.

Silence of the Lambs (1991):

A new FBI agent is assigned the case of catching a serial killer. She ends up having to talk to Hannibal Lecter, who is notorious for his cannibalistic tendencies. ¨Whenever feasible, one should always try to eat the rude” He is also very manipulative and tricky, and the film pretty much just follows her trying to get into his mind while simultaneously trying to find Buffalo Bill.

It kind of drags on in the beginning, but gets more exciting as it progresses. It’s dark, creepy, and pretty morbid, so I definitely enjoyed it. (And not because it’s about my favorite topic, serial killers. That’s an article for a different day though)

Overall, all of the movies were pretty good. They all had their ups and downs, but watching them was a great time. I would highly recommend watching them at least once in your life.

About the Writer