Filed under Opinion

Money CAN buy happiness

Money CAN buy happiness

Singer Eben Frankewitz said in his song Lambo, “I’d rather cry in a Lambo.” Meaning he would rather cry in a Lamborghini than any other car because he would be happier crying sad tears in a more expensive and nicer car.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of happiness is feeling or showing pleasure or contentment. Having money and spending money can bring you happiness, even if it’s temporary.

In order for the relationship between money and happiness to work, you have to know how to spend it. From Psychology Today, A luxury car commercial states, “People who think that money can’t buy happiness simply aren’t spending it right.”

Being in control of money can be hard but if you know how to use it, you can get a lot from it, which may include happiness. No matter how much money is spent, it does bring out a certain amount of happiness that everyone gets when money is involved.

“Yes, it is an artificial thing and some may say money is the root of all evil,” says senior Mikeina Yang. “Without it, there wouldn’t be all these things and events that happen now. People with money are happier and less stressed than people who have no money.” 

You can be happy with any sort of money. Yes, you can be happy without the use of money but people tend to put their money towards things that bring them happiness. For example, traveling.

Sophomore Clara Williams said, “If you have money you can go on vacations and have experiences that will make you happy.”

Money brings joyous things into your life. Whether you have a lot of money or not a lot, having it and spending it makes people happy. Therefore, money can buy you happiness.

About the Writer
1 Comment

One Response to “Money CAN buy happiness”

1. Rosi Cronshey on January 15th, 2019 5:00 pm

Theres actually a really good study on this subject: (https://www.princeton.edu/~deaton/downloads/deaton_kahneman_high_income_improves_evaluation_August2010.pdf) Essentially the study states that there are two types of happiness: long term and short term. Long term happiness is almost more the absence of worry, and this study says that an annual income of $75,000 reduces the worry and stress that comes with the inability to pay rent or bills, or other simple things necessary for life and quality of life. Any income after that $75,000 can be used for short term happiness type purchases, frivolous things like an expensive car or a boat. So basically money can buy happiness, up to a point.

• Money CAN buy happiness

Trump’s Tigers

• Money CAN buy happiness

Effects of the government shutdown

• Money CAN buy happiness

Boys can sometimes be boys

• Money CAN buy happiness

2019, the year of tragedy

• Money CAN buy happiness

Life in a bubble: Are we living in a simulation

• Money CAN buy happiness

Women finally in Congress

• Money CAN buy happiness

Twitter bias against Conservatives

• Money CAN buy happiness

Costco: Bigger and better

• Money CAN buy happiness

Utah air quality and its negative effects

• Money CAN buy happiness

Trump ignores the problem

Money CAN buy happiness