Filed under Opinion

The de-evolution of the indie skate scene

Doc Martens, Baggy pants, Vans, and Thrasher are all “coming back,” when really, they have been around for years.

Although trends come and go, most of the kids who have been in this scene for most of their life feel whoever is following them should understand where their new style, music, and interests are coming from. Because it is nothing knew, nor is it different.

90’s indie is the newest trend and so many are beginning to follow, but not giving credit where credit is due. Your hair clips and big pants are nothing new to the indie scene in SLC, nor to the skate scene anywhere in America.

In 1997, Girl skateboards came out with a video debuting their new brand Chocolate. Mouse, one of the most famous pro skaters at the time skating the new board, wearing his large baggy pants, and black vans. That video changed the scene and the 90’s style forever.

Thanks to Mouse and Jackass, skating and skate culture became more and more popular as the years went on. Now it is a trend once again. But should it be?  

Recently, shopping at fake skate stores such as Zumiez, also known as the poser store by skate culture has become extremely popular. The reason this store is now popular is because it has been circulating around social media, where posers think Zumiez is the only skate store out there, when in fact there are so many local skate shops that are a lot better to support than Zumiez.

Most of the skaters who grew up in this scene are having a hard time watching this become a trend. Many teens in the U.S. have been wearing Thrasher magazine sweatshirts, T-shirts, hats, etc. Even though those exact teens have no clue how much hard work it takes to be a professional skater, or to even skate at all.

Hillcrest had an incident with this a few years ago with a husky howl costume. A group of kids decided to dress as ‘skaters’ and they purchased a lot of clothes from Zumiez and some penny boards. They took their group pictures at a skatepark.

Bryan Barrios has been skating since he was 12. He noticed how his friends started skating and Barrios thought it looked really fun. Barrios is now 17 and continues to skate, but it hurts him when others just want to ride along the so called “trend” and don’t want to skate.

“Posers always find a way to steal something from us,” Bryan Barrios continued, “ this is why I always have a need to call them out.”

“Skating is actually really fun, and I wish people who hop on the so called, skate trend could experience the fun I have when I skate around with my friends.” Barrios said.

These kids are skating for them, because it is something they love to do. If someone were to pretend to be on your football team, how would you feel? Knowing they put no work into the team?

Many teens who have grown up in the scene have been bullied and made fun of because of their style and interests by the teens who are now following this trend. The bullies are hypocrites who only follow and don’t have an identity for themselves.

Wear what you want to wear, listen to what you want to listen to, because self expression is what makes this world go-round. Just remember where these are coming from, and remember to never judge someone based on how they look or their interests because you never know where you are going