Black Friday is bogus

Have you ever spent countless hours looking through ads and magazines, trying to find a steal of a deal? What about camping out early in the morning just to be the first one inside your local Walmart, simply because you want discounted socks? You probably know by this point, that I’m referring to our American tradition of Black Friday.

Black Friday is the day every year that gives Americans a chance to shop and get great deals. According to The History Channel, Black Friday started due to a company’s earnings, ¨As the story goes, after an entire year of operating at a loss (´in the red´), stores would supposedly earn a profit (´went into the black´) on the day after Thanksgiving, because holiday shoppers blew so much money on discounted merchandise.”

So when does Black Friday start? You would think that it would begin the day after Thanksgiving, right? Well, according to many store websites, it begins Thursday night. That is correct, Black Friday starts Thursday (Thanksgiving) night.

Black Friday should not be starting on Thursday. It’s even in the name. Thanksgiving is a time to spend with your family, and be grateful for what you have, not be out fighting crowds. It’s unnecessary to start shopping that early.

It’s bad enough that the poor retail workers have to deal with that chaos all day on Friday, they don’t deserve the suffering for a night and a day. Thanksgiving is supposed to be a time to eat and be with your family. They as well should be able to have Thursday off to spend with their families.

My solution to fix the issue of Black Friday starting too soon is to just stop. Stop participating in this artificial-crazed madness, especially on Thursday. If we stop shopping that day, specifically Black Friday bargain shopping, then the stores will stop putting them on. People participate in this because they are selfish, and think they need to shop right away. We don’t need this, and we should make Black Friday on Friday again.

About the Writer