For the past and the future: Hillcrest High Alumni Association

For both the graduates and current students of Hillcrest, there’s a new association to look up to.

According to the Hillcrest High Alumni Association Board President, Mr. Condor, “The Hillcrest High Alumni Association (HHAA) was incorporated as a 501(c)(3) non-profit [tax-exempt organization] on August 20, 2018.  The initial public announcement was on October 4, 2018.”

HHAA is a organization that was only recently developed for two main goals, which according to the official website, is “providing scholarships for [current and upcoming] Hillcrest High School Seniors,” and “Preserving the Husky Spirit of Hillcrest.”

On the former goal, HHAA allows outside funds to come in and be used for current and upcoming Hillcrest Seniors that need the money most. In addition, these donations are tax-deductible.

The official handout concerning HHAA states, “The most important part of HHAA will be to help lives moving forward. Funds donated will help make higher education a possibility for deserving Hillcrest High graduates who might not otherwise have the opportunity to attend college or career training.”

The theme Hillcrest has with this is, according to https://hillcrestalumni.org/, is “Connecting The Past With The Future.”

HHAA Board members include President Mr. Condor, Vice President Ms. Rasmussen, Secretary Ms. Condor, and Treasurer Mr. Vanwagoner, according to the official HHAA website.

The first HHAA meeting was held in room A106 on November 6 at 7 p.m., conducted by Ms. Rasmussen, as stated on HHAA website and Hillcrest’s calendar. More events will happen on a quarterly basis, with the next scheduled meeting occurring on January 15, 2019, according to Mr. Condor.

“I hope that current HHS students, as future alumni, will take an interest in HHAA and forge connections with past and future students,” Mr. Condor added. “We would like them to feel like they are a part of an ongoing HHS family that reaches back to the class of 1963 and continues to grow and move forward.”

HHAA is an association that could use donations for their scholarships, so HHS students should consider buying HHAA merchandise, such as towels and cute huskies, to contribute to the HHAA cause. The HHAA official website also has a Donate tab for those wanting to contribute online.