The Dress Code Policy in Schools

The Dress Code Policy in Schools

For many girls attending schools, the morning is full of the thought “will I be dress coded?” At schools across America the idea of dress codes raises the question of whether or not we objectify women with it.

The argument of whether the dress code is justified to an extent is largely debated and I believe the dress code in schools is absolutely absurd. People (especially girls) cannot wear clothes they are comfortable in. Dress codes not only sexualize women, but also objectify women.

According to www.neatoday.org, At East Longmeadow High School, in Massachusetts, “…six out of nine dress code regulations targeted female students,” This is very common as many dress codes do this. The nature of dress codes are targeted towards women.

“I feel like me and a boy could be wearing the same thing but I would be more likely to be dress coded,” says Zoe Johnson, a junior at Hillcrest High. In most cases women can report being dress coded more in comparison to their male counterparts. This not only happens in schools, but in workplaces too.

“At work I am very cautious with my outfits, even if I know its modest,” says Heshu Barzanji, a employee at intermountain.

Dress codes objectify women because it offers the idea that they are being sexual because what they are wearing. Woman should not be taught to wear extremely “modest” things, boys should be taught to stop sexualizing and in turn objectifying woman.

“Teachers will tell me to stop showing my cleavage, my question is why are they looking there in the first place?” says a junior at Hillcrest high school.

At Marcus High School in Texas, “a viral video initially meant to instruct students on the dress code policy… drew intense criticism last month for depicting only girls as rule violators,” according to www.edweek.org. It makes girls feel bad about themselves when they think that a rule only applies to them, they notice that they are singled out, and it is unfair that many girls feel that way. They feel as if they can’t walk into school without being victimized. In most cases administration tries to act like they enforce the rules on everyone, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Dress code should only be enforced to an extent. It should not be making girls feel discriminated against. They are first only targeted to women in most cases, they sexualize woman and last they create a stigma against woman. Woman should all be free to wear what women want.