Filed under Opinion

Migrant Caravan

Migrant Caravan

Moises Castillo

Moises Castillo

Moises Castillo

With Christmas approaching, thousands of US troops sit away from their families along the border of the United States and Mexico. The Military Times estimates 7,000 Central Americans are making their way to meet the troops. The caravan has already made its way into Mexico and most are shooting for the United States next. How are we supposed to feel about mass of people planning to break through our border?

The group mainly composed of Hondurans are fleeing to escape violence and poverty in their home country. They are searching for better opportunities in countries to the north such as Mexico and the United States. President Trump has sent troops to receive the thousands and regulate the border.

Many Americans and news outlets are claiming this a ridiculous reaction by the president. However, the main purpose of these troops are to help regulate the border. This is not the beginning of a war, most troops are unarmed.

“Tent cities” have been set up to provide shelter for the group approaching. Here the migrants will have a safe place to rest as they are processed through the border.

Upon arrival the migrants have been given shelter and are waiting to have a hearing for political asylum. Some have rushed the border which has lead the soldiers to retaliate with tear gas. This has caused many people throughout the country to speak out against President Trump and his attemps to protect the border.

Will this affect us in Utah? Of course it will. Utah has a very low unemployment rate. This may not remain stable with the ripple caused by the Hondurans entering in large numbers. Political asylum is necessary to protect the innocent and important to international relationships. However, assuming that the entire carvan qualifies for entry could cause a major shift in the United States.